Forums General Discussion Unknown metal

  • Unknown metal

    Posted by wardmonterosso on July 21, 2016 at 6:39 pm

    I may have asked this question before elsewhere, not sure. But has anyone ever heard of a metal called Herculoid? I acquired some time ago a bag marked “Herculoid” with metal pellets in it that are somewhat flattened and about 3/8″ round. They appear to be brass like. Maybe they are just brass just not sure.

    Just curious, W@rd

    wardmonterosso replied 7 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Alan Balmer

    July 21, 2016 at 7:27 pm

    Interesting. Herculoid or Hercules Powder is (was?) a trade name for nitrocellulose. Is it possible the bag originally contained something else?

    When I was a kid, my Dad had a couple reels of nitrocellulose movie film. That stuff was fun!

  • wardmonterosso

    July 21, 2016 at 9:27 pm


    I suppose anything is possible. Thought that maybe it identified the metal within the bag. Like I said it may just be brass pellets is all. I got the 2 bags of metal from an estate auction. One was marked Herculoid. It was the same auction I acquired my Facetron faceting machine from.


Log in to reply.