Forums Beginner Questions ADHESIVES TO USE FOR DOPING

7 replies, 7 voices Last updated by MSackos 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

henry
    Participant
    @Henry

I am new to faceting. In fact I am awaiting for my machine from the UltraTec. Meanwhile, I am watching videos on Utube and reading some books and articles on internet. I noticed that people use different materials for doping and different combinations of adhesives for transferring: wax-wax, wax-epoxy, epoxy-epoxy, crazy glue… What is the “right” method, easiest, and why these materials are used?

Frankwood
    Participant
    @Frankwood

If you don’t have an accurate way of centralising the preform to the dop when first dopping the stone, then wax-epoxy is the best combo.
    You can soften the wax with a BBQ lighter after putting the stone on the machine and use the dial gauge to get it central.

davidechols
    Participant
    @davidechols

I would recommend an adhesive for someone learning to facet. Using wax alone is an another skill that has to be learned. Personally I have always used wax but learning how to use can be very frustrating at first. Stones popping off. The advantages of wax is fast and cheap.

Lowjiber
    Participant
    @Lowjiber

Here are my preferences…

#1 (98% of time)… JB Weld, clear, 5-minute epoxy. Let it cure overnight.

#2 (2% of time)… Loctite 404 superglue. Used for tiny stones.

Wax? Quoth the Raven “Nevermore”.

Happy Faceting.

John

bthomason
    Participant
    @bthomason

I use wax or super glue for the first dop. Make a flat spot on the stone with 600 grit. with wax, warm the stone. be careful not to overheat. investing in a dop-pot would not hurt. On the transfer I use 5 minute epoxy, and let harden overnight, it is too soft after only an hour or two. When I go to remove the first dop, I fill a cream cheese bowl with enough water to almost submerge the stone to keep it cool. Then take a butane torch, and hemostats or pliers to heat dop off. Welcome the school of hard rocks!

henry
    Participant
    @Henry

Thank you all for your opinions and advice. The Ultra Tec is delaying shipping for a week, so I am still waiting, reading and watching

master1975
    @master1975

I use the two part epoxy upon transfer. I absolutely love loctite 404 for the table… amazing stuff. Here is a big rutilated quartz dopped with loctite 404. I didn’t think it would actually hold, but it did!!!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

MSackos
    Participant
    @MSackos

I use the same adhesives as Lowjiber. JB Weld (because it is readily available at Home Depot) 2 part epoxy and Loctite 404 (superglue). For really small stones, I use Superglue. Bigger stones – Epoxy. Everything in between – depends.

Nothing against Wax…I just did not learn with wax so I would have to spend some time on it. Ernie Hawes showed me how he uses both Wax and Superglue to dop…cool method!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.