Forums Beginner Questions Dirt Cheap Glass Filled Sapphire

9 replies, 4 voices Last updated by  scottwkelley 2 weeks, 1 day ago
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

miketmbt
    Participant
    @miketmbt

Hello,

Would glass filled sapphire be worth practicing with? Or is it just garbage to stay away from? There are tons on ebay for super cheap.
    Would it cut the same as sapphire?

scottwkelley
    Participant
    @scottwkelley

sure, why not. It is a treated stone. Get that polish on. You can get about 100ct in a box from the mine in Montana. Nothing as blue as the treated ones, lots of greens and assorted colors even red and orange. But those treated ones look like fun.

scottwkelley
    Participant
    @scottwkelley

https://www.gemselect.com/other-info/sapphire-prices.php food for thought

flfaceter73
    Participant
    @flfaceter73

I bought some from an ebay seller and most were included , mishapened , i got one good stone out of about 10 . It does cut oddly since You are cutting a thin glass covering and also the corundum. They look like they were drenched in liquid hot glass. i did get a decent polish on the one i cut , i dont want to do anymore. Ill send you some if you want to try them. Just send me a message.

miketmbt
    Participant
    @miketmbt

Thank you. I someone else kind of talked me into just going with synthetic. Also can be found super cheap on ebay.

Alan Balmer
    Keymaster
    @alanbalmer

My take on synthetic ruby was always “How else could my wife wear a 22 carat flawless ruby?”

scottwkelley
    Participant
    @scottwkelley

lol, I agree Alan…I am looking forward to purchasing some of these fine synthetics. I know in the past when I started I could not understand cutting a man made rock, I now appreciate the material as a stone. Happy Faceting

scottwkelley
    Participant
    @scottwkelley

I am always reading where some purchase their rough from and have yet to buy ebay or etsy. My first stones that got me going came from a $100 box of rocks from Gem Mountain…I polished up a lot of stone from that box, sapphires from another box from Montana yielded me 110ct with the largest stone weighing 3.5ct green in color, still a natural..$200 for those. I have purchased stones from people over seas on facebook, pricey at $12.50 a ct, purple garnets and red spinal. Best buy was 1lb of quartz for $25. Dan Lynch sold me some stones, amethyst and ametrine. But here is a source I have found recently for synthetics,
    https://www.gemsngems.com/product-category/rough-stones/lab-created-rough/

Anyone else have sources to share?

Alan Balmer
    Keymaster
    @alanbalmer

Thanks for the gemsngems link. That’s a new one for me. They even have a decent selection of YAG. I’m kind of curious about having to contact them for shipping costs, though.

scottwkelley
    Participant
    @scottwkelley

I have stones set up to cut and as soon as I run out of material I will purchase from them, pretty fair priced I thought, glad you think so too. I am sure standard shipping, keep me posted.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.