Tagged: ,

6 replies, 2 voices Last updated by  thomasreeves 2 weeks, 1 day ago
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

brellan217
    Participant
    @brellan217

Hi all,

I have been trying for YEARS to be able to use dop wax when faceting. I use the green wax when I’m cabbing and it works just fine. But I’ve tried both the green wax as well as stick shellac for faceting. My stones constantly pop off. I’ve been using super glue. I find getting the glue off is a pain in the butt. I also don’t like having to wait overnight after I transfer for the pavilion cuts.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can get reliable functionality using wax? If it matters, I use brass dop sticks and my machine is a Facetron.

Thanks in advance!

thomasreeves
    Participant
    @thomasreeves

Green wax is for cabbing and has a lower melt temperature, use a good brown faceting wax like Leeco from Graves or other suppliers. Diamond dop is another good one. Clean your dopstick and stone with alchohol and if your stone isnt heat sensitive warm it up as well. I use an alchohol lamp and dont usually have any issues. When I transfer I put some oil from the side of my nose on my finger and lightly oil the pavillion and stick the stone momentarily into the warm wax and make an impression and then let it cool. Next I clean the stone and impression with alchohol and then super glue stone into that impression. Always ask if unsure. Find a local faceter if you can. I’m in California foothills.

brellan217
    Participant
    @brellan217

Thank you. I’ll try that. I do have brown stick shellac wax. I’ll buy a different brown wax like the one you recommended.

I’d love to find a local faceter to learn from. Everything I know is self taught. I am certain I have some bad habits. I’m in Virginia. Unfortunately, I am a long haul from California.

thomasreeves
    Participant
    @thomasreeves

Must be someone near you with this large group, have you sought out local gem clubs that may have a faceter? Feel free to email with any questions. tomandsue55@att.net

brellan217
    Participant
    @brellan217

I talked to a club faceter a while back. I ended up ordering the Leeco brown wax. Gonna see how it is when it arrives. I’ve been working this almandine garnet oval with my Graves stick shellac instead of super glue. The stone popped off my dop right after I finished the preform! Not such a big deal, but then it popped off again when I started on my 1200 lap. Dang stone just keeps getting smaller and smaller. I am just going to pause all faceting until this Leeco wax gets here lol.

What do you use to heat your wax? I tried an alcohol lamp, but was met with minimal success. Then I used my silver soldering torch, which seems to get too hot and burns the wax.

thomasreeves
    Participant
    @thomasreeves

I use an alcohol lamp. Make sure your stone and dop stick are cleaned with denatured alcohol first. I hear up the dopstick till it starts to melt the wax and then melt more wax into the cone or flat and place some around the outside of the dopstick. I then warm the stone ( if not heat sensitive) and keep the wax warm and then place them together. Lots of good videos out there to watch. Email me and I can send you a link to a video that might help. tomandsue55@att.net

thomasreeves
    Participant
    @thomasreeves

Virginia Faceters out there? This person has a Facetron but could use a little local assistance.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.