Forums Beginner Questions Finding Training

5 replies, 5 voices Last updated by  blucrsr 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

entaiho
    Participant
    @Entaiho

Thank you for your patience. I am completely new and have not cut a stone yet. I would like to find a class to try this as a hobby before going crazy buying equipment. Can you all recommend anywhere or anyone that may walk a new guy through his introduction to the hobby?

bbgems
    Participant
    @BBGems

Depending on where you live, there are many clubs that have classes and are relatively inexpensive. I live in San Diego, CA and learned to facet at the San Diego Mineral and Gem Society where I now teach the same. Try a search of some rock clubs in your area and they may be able to help steer you in the right direction. There are also many tutorials on You Tube and books available. Sorry I don’t have any reccomendations on books as I learned pretty much hands on, but I know of many very good facters who have learned much of what they know from books on facteting.

Joseph Jucha
    Participant
    @josephjucha

Same caveats, Depending on where you live and what resources you wish to commit theree are a number of private and group class setting around.
    I cannot say enough about William Holland Lapidary School near Young Harris Georgia. Each class is 1 week long and very reasonable considering it it room and board (there is an RV plan that works for us)./ If you want to get your feet wet take Faceting 1 with any other instructors. You will come away with basic knowledge and at least on cut stone.
    Faceting 2 delves a little deeper depending on the instructor, I don’t know that I have ever had that class without at least one foreign student. I have taken it multiple times because I can always learn something or steal a trick or tip. 🙂
    lapidaryschool.org should get you there.

entaiho
    Participant
    @Entaiho

Joseph thank you for your answer. I have heard of William Holland and it is relatively close (about 5 hours away). I would like to find someone near me say an hour away that would show me the basics for a small fee to see if this is the hobby for me. Being on a very fixed income limits me some. I have recently gotten my disability and am looking for something to take up the extra time. Do you know if there is a place or a site where I could find a local group or club that I could seek out training? Sorry for the inconvenience. Btw I am in Greeneville TN if that helps.

moregems
    Participant
    @moregems

We have several training videos on YouTube under moregems.com

blucrsr
    Participant
    @blucrsr

Steve/moregems, I would like to say thank you for taking the time to record, edit and share your videos. They have been very helpful to me!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.