Forums Faceting Machines Hot, Hot, News from Ultratec….Must See!!!!!

9 replies, 5 voices Last updated by brellan217 1 week, 2 days ago
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

JTheesfeld
    Participant
    @JTheesfeld

Ultratec Faceting has just released their new design.
    The VL Classic is here!
    Best News of all….IT IS VERY AFFORDABLE !!!
    Under $4K. Ultratec legendary Quality for less $$$.

ULTRA TEC VL Classic Faceting Machine

Scott Sucher can help as a knowledgable dealer.
    scott@museumdiamonds.com

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

davidechols
    Participant
    @davidechols

I think this is a good move on Ultra-Tec’s part. Lowering the price with a solid looking machine that is competitively priced against Facetron. I like the looks of this machine. I am not a fan of a digital machine. Eventually the electronics will fail like all electronic devices do whereas the analog machine rarely gives any problem. Also not a big fan of the crank mast either. There is no doubt that Ultra-Tec has made a quality, long lasting machine for decades. I feel like this new version will be a winner too. I would use it as a soft stop machine with the dial indicator where there would be no flex problem whatsoever.

Alan Balmer
    Keymaster
    @alanbalmer

Note that this is only an introductory offer. I haven’t seen anything that tells how long it lasts.

I’ve used a digital readout on two Mk5 machines since 2007, with absolutely no problems with the electronics. I would not buy a machine without a digital readout. It’s not true that “all electronics devices” fail, any more than it’s true that mechanical devices never fail. The electronics in Voyager 2 are still working after 35 years.

I too cut with a soft stop, but the 0.01 degree digital readout makes it a lot easier.

davidechols
    Participant
    @davidechols

It is not fair to compare Military, and I will assume Nasa, equipment to consumer electronics. One component in such equipment can cost as much as a digital readout. I based my statement having an electronic background. Components in consumer products are rated for hours and or years before failure. Most are less than 5 years. Another factor I considered before purchasing my Facetron over the Polymetric digital machine was how quick electronic components become obsolete and become unattainable and very hard to find. I believe Jon Rolfe has made that statement for his excellent head. Parts being unattainable. All being said though I would expect that a digital readout will last plenty long enough for most people. But I would expect failure at an earlier date than the older analog machine.

I am old and set in my ways and old folks like me have a tendency to say old is better. I like the appeal of having a digital display vs mechanical though. My newest signal generator and oscilloscope are digital. All I was trying to say is there is nothing wrong with the analog Ultra-tec. My Ultra-tec was made in 1980 and is plenty accurate enough. I do not think accuracy will suffer using a quality made older design over a digital machine.

Lowjiber
    Participant
    @Lowjiber

I ordered one with the digital encoder yesterday.

At 73 years old, I hope to be able to report back here in ten years that it’s still going strong. LOL

davidechols
    Participant
    @davidechols

I am 70 years old and I feel like it will probably last as long as us. I see old 20 year old electronic equipment still working just fine.

Lowjiber
    Participant
    @Lowjiber

@davidechols, I hope we’re both around to see twenty years. LOL

Frankly, there are a ton of UT V5 machines around the world and I’ve never heard of an encoder failure yet. UT is using the same encoder on the VL and even sell one as an after-market mod for the older V2 machines.

I have a Polymetric Xrystal-tec 99 with a digital encoder/display that gets a lot of use, and it hasn’t even hinted of a failure.

brellan217
    Participant
    @brellan217

@Lowjiber Please let me know how well the machine works. I have wanted an Ultra-Tec to replace my Facetron for a couple years. If you can report back good things I may well bite the bullet and buy one.

Lowjiber
    Participant
    @Lowjiber

@brellan217 Will do. Joe Ruban sent an email yesterday saying that the “ship date” would be Feb 7th. It’ll take a couple of days to travel via FedEx to Las Vegas. I’ll post some initial pictures and impressions and follow up with actual performance thoughts after my first cut with it.

(I’ll add that Joe said they would have some at the upcoming Tucson show for people to lay their hands on.)

brellan217
    Participant
    @brellan217

Oh, that’s cool. I wish I would be able to make it to AZ. Thank you for being willing to show all that about your new machine. I can’t wait for it to arrive 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.