Forums Beginner Questions Hurco oil for polishing

4 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Lowjiber 2 weeks, 4 days ago
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jude
    Participant
    @Jude

I have seen a few rave reviews for “Hurco” oil as THE best as a carrier for polishing with diamond.

The “Hurco” oil mentioned is said to be used to lubricate “brass” musical instruments with piston valves – like trumpets and tubas.

I thought this would be easy to find, but despite a lot of looking, I cannot find enough information to be sure I have the right item; most of the references to Hurco oil I see have to do with machine tools.

Does anyone know EXACTLY what this is and where to but it?

Alan Balmer
    Keymaster
    @alanbalmer

Look for “trombone oil”. I remember someone recommending this a few years ago. You’ll find several varieties on Amazon, including Herco. (Note the spelling). It will probably work as well as any other light oil, but don’t expect magic.

jude
    Participant
    @Jude

Thanks Alan, no wonder I didn’t find it.

You may very well be right, but 2 or 3 expert youtube faceters I’ve watched (Vintage Time for one) say this is THE best. Maybe its exactly the right viscosity or something.

At this point in my learning curve, I’m accumulating every little edge and trick I can find, so even if this makes ANY difference, it’s a success for me.

Any other ideas or suggestions welcome….

Alan Balmer
    Keymaster
    @alanbalmer

Just for fun, click on the search symbol at the top of the page and look for “trombone”. You’ll find an article by Carl Unruh recommending it, and several mentions in past newsletters.

Lowjiber
    Participant
    @Lowjiber

If you can’t find Herco, just about any brand (sometimes referred to as “valve oil”) will work well. I use Music Nomad brand synthetic valve oil with diamond bort. Works well.

A light coating of WD40 works well too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.