Forums General Discussion Is Refractol still available?

6 replies, 7 voices Last updated by  steveclay 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

nancyattaway
    Participant
    @nancyattaway

Hello,
    Is Refractol gem immersion fluid still being manufactured and sold? If not, what are people using as a replacement?

Thanks,
    Nancy Attaway

Alan Balmer
    Keymaster
    @alanbalmer

Graves still lists it, but I suspect their catalog is out of date. A search for “refractol substitute” brings up a number of possibilities, but I’m not qualified to evaluate them.

scottwkelley
    Participant
    @scottwkelley

Try contacting Ladyrockhound.com I believe she has some. She had at least 20 jars but she showed me a trick using a lazer light for clarity and to see inclusions. $15 I believe. She is the one that makes the italdo diamond spray. Good Luck.

Wayne Emery
    Participant
    @Lightbender57

Hi Nancy,

I know that Refractol is no longer being distributed, but I have been distributing a replacement, “ImmersAll” for about six months. Contact me by email, I’ll send you pics and info. 2 oz bottles, 4 oz jars and kits including an immersion cell and a set of polarizers. My email is wayne_emery@msn.com and I am on FB under Wayne Emery.

Wayne Emery

jamescockrell
    Participant
    @jamescockrell

Try wetting your stone with common hand cleaner like “Germ-X” sold at Wal-Mart. You may be surprised as to how well you can see inside. If nothing else you will have a clean germ free stone when through.

Hi Nancy, I recently attempted to find Refractol for a new faceter. I wasn’t able to get any from the sources that listed it. So, I did some homework and found that there is a really good replacement that is less messy and safe to use. It is Benzyl Benzoate, RI 1.568. This is available in 50 ml bottles at several online chemical suppliers. It is way less expensive than Refractol and less smelly too. I am no longer using my last bottle of Refractol after using this better disclosing liquid.

Dennis Anderson in sunny Southern California

steveclay
    Participant
    @steveclay

here are a couple of good household items you might try and find work incredibly well.
    no. 1 caro syrup
    no. 2 olive oil
    no. 3 vegetable oil
    And if you are an ole rock licker these are all save to lick clean. LOL

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.