Forums General Discussion New website comments and feedback

50 replies, 24 voices Last updated by keg910 4 days, 23 hours ago
Viewing 39 reply threads
  • Author

Tom Maxwell
      Participant
      @tmax

Now that the new website is up and running, it would be great for all members to provide feedback so that we can make changes and additions for the benefit of all our members. Please do not hesitate to make any comments or suggestions your feel necessary.

Tom Maxwell
      VP – USFG

Ken Michalek
      Participant
      @kenmichalek

Wow! This is great. Thanks for all the hard work to all involved.

Alan Balmer
      Keymaster
      @alanbalmer

Good to see you here, Ken. I’m hoping it will get a lot livelier soon.

Ken Michalek
      Participant
      @kenmichalek

Hi Al! It shouldn’t take long.

gjeret
      Participant
      @gjeret

New Member here, the website is very clean, bright colors, and inviting. Helped to make my decision to join 🙂

Tom Maxwell
        Participant
        @tmax

Hi gjeret,
        We are happy to welcome you as a new member. It would be helpful if you would fill out your profile information with as much information as yu are comfortable with. Please read our privacy policy to see how this information is protected. Notice also that the website is secured with a SSL certificate.

We hope you enjoy the benefits of being a member of the USFG.

Dan
      Participant
      @Dan

I’ve been a lurker for a long time, and I love the new website. Pushed me over the edge in signing up!

My two cents – I would love to see this message board replace the current email/yahoo groups system!

Tom Maxwell
        Participant
        @tmax

Welcome Dan,

Glad we pushed you over the edge! FYI, the USFG has no control over or interest in the Yahoo discussion group. We hope the new USFG Forum will attract participation from the members of that group.

Jon Rolfe
      Participant
      @jonathan lrolfe

I agree that Yahoo was a great idea at one time. It was free, for one thing, but became highly annoying and tedious. Its time has come and gone, and I suspect the stockholders think so as well.

Alan Balmer
      Keymaster
      @alanbalmer

I think it’s important that this website is truly USFG, rather than owned by a particular person and governed by Yahoo.

glennklein
        Participant
        @glennklein

Hi All:

I agree with Alan Balmer when he posted way back in 1-29-2016 that He would rather see the USFG truly owned by the USFG and not a particular person and governed by Yahoo. I believe there would be much more action by members in making the chat pages come to life like it was years ago. But I have not contributed much for several years because of my health etc.

I noticed the discussion about a single Tourmaline inclusion inside of a quartz faceted gem. I will see if I an doing right at getting my comments processed the proper way and attached pictures properly done so that it may be interesting for some faceters.

Back in 1991 I faceted such a gem after looking everywhere including Tucson for years to find a piece that I could use for the project. My stone turned out great. If the pictures are done right here, I think many faceters will enjoy seeing and later trying this project themselves.

I used a round step cut to start with and of course centered the tourmaline from the center of the crown and out at the culet. With the overhead picture the one inclusion is seen, while the side view of the stone shows the many reflections of the tourmaline.

Glenn Klein

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.

jayconner
      Participant
      @jayconner

Nice to be here! I like the new site, it seems easy to navigate and attach images. Well done!

Glenn Wood
      Participant
      @glennwood

Wow! Fantastic job guys! Great looking site, easy to navigate, love that the past newsletters no longer need password for each news letter. I want to thank all who were involved in this work. It feels like the USFG has finally entered the 21st century!

Hello Tom:
      I like the general format of the site. I have discovered one issue for me while reading the forum items. The tracking from one item to the next doesn’t have an easy solution. No up/down or left/right item to move to the next item in a list. When this list gets to be much larger, that is going to make moving about very annoying and people will loose their way very easily.

dennisanderson
      dennis.anderson@djanderson
      In sunny Southern California

Tom Maxwell
        Participant
        @tmax

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion. I will look into how/if this can be accomplished.

Tom Maxwell
        President – USFG
        president@usfacetersguild.org

Mary Rafferty
        Participant
        @vistagrande

I second the comment made by Dennis Anderson about the forum. I would prefer a full functioning forum such as phpBB which includes features such as threading, quoting, private messages, signatures, message preview and so forth.

Meanwhile, still looking around figuring out how the rest of the site functions.

Gregory Hays
      Participant
      @gregoryhays

Tom,
      Very happy to see the new site all professionally polished. Really like the members profile area and how nice it will be to see the vast arena of members who facet as a hobby, commercially and for art.
      Great work!!!!!
      Happy faceting to all.
      Greg Hays
      San Marcos, CA

Looking at the diagrams listed. It occurred to me that I don’t see a place to store pictures or designs to submit to the USFG members. So, is it not the USFG intent to provide equivalent archive capability as on the USFGFacetingList website?

Aldrich, John
      Participant
      @Double Eagle Mine

Hi Tom And Members

Great new look and function for members only.
      It would be nice to have a links tab with a member only supplier category breakdown. As in rough, laps, machine etc.. I would buy from a member first as they are faceter’s and are willing to help answer any questions we may have on products and supplies. It is also a good way to meet some good people with a common coal to cut a beautiful gemstone.

Tom Maxwell
        Participant
        @tmax

Great suggestion John. This feature is already the planning stages in the will be added sometime in the near future. I especially like it as I am an Ultra-Tec Rep, a stocking dealer for Gearloose and other lapidary and faceting related items.

Mary Rafferty
      Participant
      @vistagrande

A few more comments on the site…

1. On logout, one is left with a blank page. It would be nice to have something — either a “come again soon / you are logged out page” or the site home page — so we would see that indeed the logout had completed.

2. Under member profile > settings there is a link for profile visibility. It looks like we should be able to change the settings. There is a “save settings” button at the bottom. But I am not seeing the method to edit existing settings.

3. Under profile > edit, the fine print under some of the options indicates which items are included in the membership search. (It took me several passes before I actually read those notes! And actually, I think the faceting machine field also works.) On my initial setup I entered the abbreviation for the state (CA in my case). Not very helpful for searching out other members who might be nearby. Perhaps the instructions can be changed to encourage full state name or else have it changed to a drop down list where spelling won’t be a factor either?

4. Please specify actual dimensions for the profile and cover images. While the software will adjust the images, my preference is to post what I want to see and not have the online software lower the quality by resizing. Also, when I uploaded what appears to be the exact size needed, the site wanted me to “crop” the image before it would accept it even though it was complaining that I had used something less that 150 pixels.

5. Perhaps a “resources” page or library section could be added so that folks can be directed to other good, related sites?

Thanks.

Mary Rafferty
      Participant
      @vistagrande

Found one more. Well actually two – I don’t see a way to edit my previous post.

The good news is that the search on the state turned up someone who appears to live nearby. I don’t see any way to email or private message to introduce myself to that member.

Tom Maxwell
        Participant
        @tmax

HI Mary,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. If you look just above your post the is a very light (too light in my opinion)there are several links to manage your post. I will look into making this ore visable and user friendly.

Thanks,

Tom Maxwell

Jeff Kavan
      Participant
      @jeffkavan

Would it be possible to search the member directory by location? Such as state or city a member is from? Ooppps, I see that it is, sorry. Just didn’t have anyone come up nearby unfortunately.

Tom Maxwell
        Participant
        @tmax

A good idea Jeff and we do have that feature as you have said. We do have that information from members who sign up by filling out the membership Application and mailing it in. Those using PayPal do not have to furnish anything other than email address and credit card information. This has presented a problem when we don’t get at least a correct First and Last Name (no user names or nicknames) along with an email address. Without this basic information we have difficulty crediting your account. Unfortunately it is up to each member to fill out his profile with whatever information he chooses to shave with other members. The USFG Privacy Policy states we will not share any information outside of the membership. I hope this clarifies thing a little and other members see this and complete their profile. It helps the members communicate with each other and helps the USFG keep the membership current.

Mary Rafferty
      Participant
      @vistagrande

Hi Tom,

Above each of the posts, I see two links on the right. One takes you to this part of the page where you can add another post. The other just puts that post at the top of the window.

The contrast (lack thereof) was a big problem for me. Eventually I discovered that if I tilted the laptop screen back further, it would appear so I could then tell where one post ended and the next started. A more contrasting theme would probably be a huge help.

Thanks.

Note: After I posted this comment it appeared with “edit” option. The previous posts I made do not have that option.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

looks good!!

USFG
      Participant
      @rkastudio

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the great feedback and suggestions! We have made some adjustments today that you can read about here:

https://usfacetersguild.org/web-site-updates-real-names-usernames-public-names/

We have also darkened the text for the post editing buttons. (Posts can be edited for up to 5 minutes after they are posted.)

Gregory Hays
      Participant
      @gregoryhays

Hi Tom,
      I may be in error, but what time zone is the new site running in? It seems like it is 7 hours off our USA time zones. Seeing the posting times and the calculations. Not trying to be critical here.
      Greg Hays

Anonymous
      Inactive
      @

Hi all,

I’ll jump in and introduce myself as owner of RKA Studio, your friendly neighborhood Web developer. The last few weeks have been very busy ones getting the site launched but I finally have a few minutes to sit down and reply to some of the (great) questions and suggestions here. I’ll try to cover all of the topics without replying individually.

Logout whiteout: This is an issue we’re currently investigating.

Forum: We are currently testing a suite of upgraded features including quoting, bbcode formatting, and private messages. Our goal for the forums is for them to be a great conversation tool, but also for topics to be useful resources to future members and visitors to the site. So when looking at features to implement, it’s about finding a balance between those two things. For instance, threading can make it much easier to determine who is talking to whom during the conversation, but it also encourages a lot of digression and can make it much harder to follow a conversation after the fact. Another factor is usability on a variety of devices—to use threading as the example again, it was developed for desktop browsers at a time when screen resolution was low and there was a lot of resistance to scrolling. Now on touch devices like phones and tablets, it is far easier to scroll than to tap the correct skinny little link in a threading tree. Over 20% of American adults use mobile devices as their primary Internet device so usability on mobile is something we take very seriously these days.

The long and short is that we can add features as use of the forum grows and we are exploring this right now. I would like to get quoting in very quickly, and it may be possible within a week or so.

I’m not sure if all the questions about uploading photos are specifically about uploading photos to forum posts—but if they are, then the answer is yes, the “Attachments” box at the bottom of the reply tool already allows you to upload up to four photos of 3 megabytes (MB) apiece. You can also upload a GemCad file(s) as an attachment.

I will definitely be darkening the reply headers a bit and maybe adding a border to help separate each reply.

Member Directory and Member Profiles

Profile field visibility is locked for the foreseeable future, but there is not currently a handy way to remove this menu item entirely. You can, however, control whether your entire profile shows up in the member directory, and whether your profile is searchable in the member directory. Even if you remove your profile from the member directory, your board and officers still appreciate members filling out the demographic info to give us a clearer picture of the membership.

The cover photo dimensions are 759×225. The avatar photo is 150×150, though right now it is then padded down to 146×146. (I’ll probably remove this padding.) Keep in mind, both of these images change size depending on the device they are being viewed on. The best way to keep these images from being recompressed is to upload them in .PNG format rather than .JPG format.

For locating fellow members geographically, we landed on using a search bar rather than a map-based approach. There are a number of reasons for this, but at the end of the day it will be more useful. It does, however, rely on members entering info into their profiles. We refrained from auto-populating these fields with physical addresses out of sensitivity to members’ privacy. So members are encouraged to put as much info in their profiles as they feel comfortable, and the search bar can find anything in there.

Once you have found a member, there is currently not a method for private messaging. Private messaging is possible with our software but there is still internal conversation about whether to turn this on. It may help to hear from more members that this is a desirable feature. For the time being, you are free to type your email address or phone number into the “About me” section of your profile. Member profiles are not available to the general public, but forum posts are—so keep that in mind when publishing any information on the forums you don’t want the whole world to see.

Member/Dealer network:

There are a number of ways to implement this, and we are discussing them as Tom mentioned. In the meantime, it won’t hurt to mention in your “About me” section of your profile that you are a “Certified dealer of X” or “Oregon Sunstone rough miner”, because all this profile information is searchable.

Time zone: The site’s internal clock is set to UTC 0 since–despite having United States in the name–we’re an international organization with many members hailing from all over the world. If this ends up causing confusion for a bunch of our users, we could certainly discuss setting it to CST.

Ok, that’s all for now—if I missed any questions, happy to answer more. If you’d like to send longer-format feedback, please contact me at webmaster@usfacetersguild.org

USFG
      Participant
      @rkastudio

Hi Everyone,

We have rolled out Private Messaging. You can read about it here:

Web Site Update – Private Messaging Members

Javed Awan
      Participant
      @javedawan

Dear Mr. Tom – excellent website. hope with the time faceting drawings options will increase. thank you so much for sharing information’s – regards. Javed Awan

Alan Balmer
      Keymaster
      @alanbalmer

Today was the first time I actually used the search facility to look for a design. I really like the way it works. Kudos to Robert Asumendi, our web designer.

SRBrooks
      Participant
      @SRBrooks

Love the new site! I’ve had difficulty opening the items in the 2016 SS competition page. The announcement, rules, PDF diagrams etc. I can’t get any info. I thought it might be my computer or my acrobat reader program but I tried on another computer and a couple of I- pads and have had the same problem. Not sure if anyone else may have the same problem or if I’m just getting something wrong. Also a page with finished stones that link with the cutting diagrams would be neat. I realize that getting the current site up and running is a lot of work for now but maybe down the road one day. Great looking site.. nice work!

Alan Balmer
      Keymaster
      @alanbalmer

I have an idea what the problem is. The “Competition” block has a drop-down which has only the “Certified Faceters” link. Rather misleading. If you click on the “Competition” block itself, you get another page which has the links you’re looking for at the bottom. If you can verify that this is the problem, I’ll see what we can do to clarify it.

steveerichards
        Participant
        @steveerichards

The only thing I really liked on the other sight was I butted my computer up and it went to that page, as I do now with this one. But then all I had to do was click Conversations and they were there and you could tell the ones you have read and the ones you hadn’t. Ok they were not sorted by title, but I read them all.
        There’s still people using the old one.

Steve Richards
        TRMS

SRBrooks
      Participant
      @SRBrooks

When I click on the competition link and arrive on the page with stone images over the divisions then try to click on any of the PDF or Acrobat links it says waiting for response from website in the tab above the page but nothing ever comes up. Still not sure if it’s only me or is that happening to everyone? Is there somewhere else that would have the competition info? Thanks.

Alan Balmer
      Keymaster
      @alanbalmer

Thanks for the info. Can you download PDF files from other websites? What happens when you click on the .gem links? What browser are you using?

I’ll ask our tech people about it.

SRBrooks
      Participant
      @SRBrooks

yes I can download PDF files from other sites and when I try the gem links on this site with the cutting diagrams I only get a page of computer code writing. I’m using internet explorer. Thanks

Alan Balmer
        Keymaster
        @alanbalmer

I’ve asked someone to look into it. It’s been years since I used IE, so I’m not much help there. There should be settings that determine how different file types are handled – I’d start there.

mark
      Participant
      @Mark

Great website keep the information flowing!
      Why does the front page tell me I need to change my password if I joined after a certain date which I did . Do I need to change my password ?

Alan Balmer
      Keymaster
      @alanbalmer

Hi, Mark. Since you posted to the forum, you are successfully logged in, so you’re good. We are still making changes to improve the website, so if you have ideas or comments, please chime in!

mark
      Participant
      @Mark

I like the idea that John Aldrich reply number 2157 had on a tab for products and supplies for guild members I agree I would rather buy from members than others!

scottwkelley
      Participant
      @scottwkelley

Keeps getting better every time I come back to visit. Still navigating for ease of use.

ronjansson
      Participant
      @RonJansson

I realize I’m green as a Chivor Emerald soaked in Green food coloring, but could someone please explain to me how one starts a new topic in the Forum. I’ve Got a new hot topic the I be leave the whole group will appreciate.

Alan Balmer
      Keymaster
      @alanbalmer

This forum, “New website comments and feedback”, doesn’t have sub-topics. Go to the forum category where your new topic fits best, e.g. “Gemology”. At the bottom of the page, you can start a new topic.

ronjansson
      Participant
      @RonJansson

Tom,
      I’ll need to speak with you personally on a few topics I plan to bring to the table. But first, can you please tell me what I need to do to start a new topic so I can get a little feedback from others in the group. My plans deal with displaying and promoting members items they wish to exhibited (sale or trade), or for whatever reason. I don’t see any prompts or any other access into the Forum.

Alan Balmer
      Keymaster
      @alanbalmer

Did you not try the procedure I outlined? I suggest that you start a new topic under “General Discussion”.

ronjansson
        Participant
        @RonJansson

Hi Alan,
        No. I don’t know why but your reply took a few days to pop up. I may try that later, but I may need to talk to Tom first. He might be already headed in the direction as I had in mind. I’m thinking about a site we can all exhibit our things; Like an exhibit. Items we wish to put up for sale, trade or whatever. Plus, I’d like to see weekly auctions where the proceeds go to charity, I have a few hand fills of stones I can put up. I’m sure we all do. Done correctly we can gain some priceless PR points. This is an elite Group of Distinguished artist. Nothing like a charity drive to show the world just how elite we are. Another thing I’d really like to see is a registry of certified venders & suppliers providing a variety of services and goods like a direct link to certified rough materials (Both Natural & Lab) from all over the world.
        Anyway, I’m so new with you guy…maybe I should just sit back a bit and keep reading the forums. Someone’s probably already working on what I had in mind.
        THANKS FOR THE REPLY. At least now I know my Blogs are being seen.
        Ron

Alan Balmer
      Keymaster
      @alanbalmer

Hi, Ron,
      You can email Tom directly at president@usfacetersguild.org. We’re always open to ne ideas.

keg910
      Participant
      @keg910

It would be nice if you could search the diagram data base by RI value.

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.