Forums Beginner Questions Proper faceting speeds

7 replies, 5 voices Last updated by  scottwkelley 1 week, 1 day ago
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

mark
    Participant
    @Mark

Does anyone have a list of recommended proper speed’s for grinding, pre-polish, polish ?
    Mark

Alan Balmer
    Keymaster
    @alanbalmer

Hi, Mark. I’d be interested in other responses to this. From what I’ve seen, there’s no general agreement on the subject. There’s the obvious factor that higher speed should mean faster cutting, and there is the “hydroplaning” consideration at high speeds.

I have seen specific recommendations, even by lap manufacturers, and it would be interesting to know the reasoning behind them.

tucsonbear
    Participant
    @Tucsonbear

I use a 1640 RPM motor with a 4 step pulley. I use the smallest step for polishing, I’m guesstimating about 250 rpm. I use the next to largest step for cutting, guesstimating 850 rpm? Somewhere in my tool pile I have an optical timing light (for measuring rpm on diesel motors), as soon as I find it I will update with accurate speeds.

mark
    Participant
    @Mark

Nice to see somebody’s watching !
    Thank you for the information !
    Mark

tucsonbear
    Participant
    @Tucsonbear

Still on hold for the optical timing light. Haven’t used it for several years, but it’s around here somewhere. Can’t even blame this one on the wife. She likes to move my stuff from wherever I left it to a more ideal location. She then develops amnesia when I ask where she put it.

scottwkelley
    Participant
    @scottwkelley

I use speed as a complement to what I want to accomplish. Speed to me is a reason for me to do it faster, to accomplish more in less time than I want to give in time. I sweep different to to get the effect of the speed to gain efficiency in my cut to flat and meet.

keitholiver
    Participant
    @keitholiver

</

What is optical timing light, please?

scottwkelley
    Participant
    @scottwkelley

would that be a photo sensor?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.