Forums General Discussion Request help on a design “Oregon Friendship”

9 replies, 5 voices Last updated by master1975 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

master1975
    @master1975

I am interested in cutting this design by Dennis Durham- http://www.facetdiagrams.org/database/files/pc08027.html but am not sure where to start? I know I am missing something simple perhaps… Do you have to CAM this to get started?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Frankwood
    Participant
    @Frankwood

If you don’t have a plastic Vernier Caliper then you need to get one. As I see it your going to have to maintain the correct length to width ratio of the stone yourself when cutting the girdle. You can get them on eBay for a couple of dollars.
    This is the way the stone looks to me from the computer screen. G1, G6, G7, G3 will be using the same height stop setting, G2, G4, G5 another. So there are two height stop settings on the girdle producing a stone with a L/W ratio of 1.248. The index settings should produce facets of the correct sizes.
    Hope that helps.
    Frank.

Frankwood
    Participant
    @Frankwood

An update to that info. With those index settings step 1 and 6 have their own depth stop setting. So it’s 3 and 7 on the ends, 1 and 6 on the corners and 2, 4, 5 on the sides.
    Good luck.

Lowjiber
    Participant
    @Lowjiber

I tried to link the Gem Cut Studio file to this post, but the forum wouldn’t allow it. If you download the file into GCS, what Frank says above is easier to visualize.

master1975
    @master1975

I appreciate the response very much! I do have a caliper. So essentially I am to cut the girdle and achieve the correct L/W ration then the rest should fall in meetpoint?

master1975
    @master1975

I am working on resequencing the design in gemcut studio. I am pretty certain a CAM approach will allow for better accuracy rather than just eyeballing the girdle.

Alan Balmer
    Keymaster
    @alanbalmer

Lowjiber, I don’t think there are any restriction on the type of attachments allowed. I would suggest a .gem file, though. GCS can read GemCad files, but not vice versa.

Lowjiber
    Participant
    @Lowjiber

Thanks Alan. I’ll try it again here…

HI: Here is a gem file for a preform for Oregon Friendship.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

master1975
    @master1975

Thank you Dennis!!! Always a savior!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.