Forums General Discussion Texas Faceters Guild is gone

12 replies, 10 voices Last updated by  markaoros 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

B Diane Eames, GG
    Participant
    @bdianeeames

Texas Faceters Guild has now become history. For over 40 years this guild trained and encouraged faceters to improve their skills. This guild sponsored cutting competitions. Some of the best faceters in this country came out of this guild. Guild members created a collection of 44 replicas of famous diamonds of history. It is a history to celebrate. However, for the past two years no one has stepped up to serve as officers, and I have been the only officer in place. Sometime in July Ewing Evans will present the Famous Diamond Replicas, remaining cash, and remaining gem melee to the Austin Gem and Mineral Society.

As for me, health issues caused by surviving a shooting by a neighbor and his assault rifle has forced me to close my business, and I now join the ranks of the hobbyist faceters. My advice- do not get downrange of an assault rifle. The bullets do not have to hit you to suffer serious damage, especially to the nervous system. Think the embassy staff in Cuba and China. Think our soldiers returning with PTSD. It’s the same.

Probably the next time you see me I’ll be with the Columbia Willamette Faceters Guild. Guess I’m gonna get up close and personal with Oregon sunstone.

B. Diane Eames, GG
    Graduate Gemologist (GIA) and past president, Texas Faceters Guild

flfaceter73
    Participant
    @flfaceter73

This is very sad news to hear, I hope this isn’t the start of a trend in this country. Im also very sorry of your misfortune, I wish the best for you.

urshak
    Participant
    @Urshak

It’s very sad to her that. Why do you think young people do not want to become cutters and evolve it? As far as I understand, in the US this is much easier, since the organization system is already well-established and ready. Do you think this is due to the active replacement of computer machines?

loydblankenship
    Participant
    @loydblankenship

Sorry to hear that. I just moved to Austin from Rhode Island.

While I’m in my 50s, I have a ton of friends in their 20s and 30s who are very, very into rocks, and would love to learn to facet. Sadly, the entry cost, coupled with the ongoing ridiculous prices for rough, place it financially out of reach for all of them. This is a generation that is, overall, never going to have a good, secure job. I’m worried for them.

Wayne Emery
    Participant
    @Lightbender57

I am very sorry to hear this. Diane, I understand your situation.

Not many know this, but I was an Army Captain in Vietnam and served as an advisor with the Vietnamese. I was Team Leader of MACV Advisory Team 1, stationed in Hue. working along the DMZ and in the Khe Sanh area adjacent to the Laotian border. The only thing worse than being shot at is taking a life, in fear for YOUR life or your buddy’s life. Time will lessen the trauma, but I strongly suggest you seek professional help. There is no shame in that, your trauma is real. Keeping those feelings inside is not a good plan. God bless.

And thank you for all you have done for the craft you love so dearly. You’re a legend.

Wayne

B Diane Eames, GG
    Participant
    @bdianeeames

Jeez, Wayne, I was barefoot when I read your post and now I’m cleaning up the BS you slung. I’ve been in therapy for almost a year including PTSD treatment. It’s hard. It was necessary. As much as moving was necessary. I appreciate the concern from others, especially the veterans. Every vet has understood what happened to me. Not a single civilian has understood, especially as the bullets did not impact us, plus the AK is the state gun of Texas. But so far, Texans do not care that the state gun of Texas killed the state gem of Texas. I was the only professional cutter that had the rough and was producing the Texas state gem for sale. I sent them all over the country. Still got the rough.
    Diane

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

GemRanger
    Participant
    @GemRanger

Sad to hear Diane, from what I saw it had some very talented people as members. Any ideas if the Texas Faceters Guild newsletters will be available for download. Would be a great way for the guild to leave a lasting legacy.

Regards,
    Kim

B Diane Eames, GG
    Participant
    @bdianeeames

Great idea! I will make that happen. There is already a copy of our archives in the GIA library. Ill make sure the archives are available here as well.

abrugger
    Participant
    @abrugger

I can’t tell if this is a post about being assaulted or about faceting. Would be nice if we could restrain ourselves from discussing hot topics that have no place here. Facebook is a great place to vent your political opinions and start heated debates.

gailbumala
    Participant
    @gailbumala

With due respect, I don’t see that anyone has brought about any political discussion here. Believe me, some of us have had some real rip-snorters on Facebook, yet we remain respectful of one another. Naming what has caused injury and the downfall of an illustrious faceting guild is very appropriate for this group. We all love faceting and care about what happens with one another.
    I understand, Diane, as my beloved grew up overseas. Her father was with the diplomatic corps in “Commuications,” which ended them up in a couple of countries which had armed coup de’etats. She and her brother had to crawl from the van to their house under machine gun fire. She was literally blown off the toilet once by a nearby bombing. I had to go tell my neighbors that regardless of the legality of Tannerite, if they blew one more thing up, there would follow some form of extreme retribution. Once I explained her PTSD, they understood. There were no more explosions before we moved into town and they’re still our friends.
    Well, Diane, I welcome you to Oregon and the CWFG. We can’t wait to have you! P.S., if you want, I know a therapist very skilled in treatment for PTSD. I’ve got a nice pile of sunstone waiting for you! 🙂

B Diane Eames, GG
    Participant
    @bdianeeames

My post was not meant to be political, and please try not to be so touchy. I am explaining why a successful faceting business crashed. I am explaining why I had to give up the presidency of this guild, and my inability to try to get Texas Faceters Guild to survive. I am explaining why I will not be able to judge competition gem cutting as my eyes have been affected by the shooting. I am explaining why the Texas state gem is not available for the foreseeable future. That shooting did a lot of damage to the world of faceting. This is not political to me, it’s personal.

steveerichards
    Participant
    @steveerichards

Sorry to hear Diane, I just found Texas Faceters Guild about 5 years ago and made 3 meeting and learned so much. Also met some very nice folks there. So hope your health improves and you get to cutting again.

markaoros
    Participant
    @markaoros

If you get to Ithaca NY, please stop in the studio and hangout, maybe take a few swings on the Daredevil machine. I woukld love to hear some faceting stories.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.