Forums Cutting Material and Identification Trusted Rough Sellers

22 replies, 10 voices Last updated by  tucsonbear 2 weeks, 4 days ago
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

tucsonbear
    Participant
    @Tucsonbear

Another source many people ignore is native cut gems for recutting. I often buy handsful of native cut garnets at the Tucson shows for just a few dollars.
    I just bought a Swiss blue topaz on eBay this last week. The cutting is poor, the polish is worse, but it is 29 x 17mm, and weighs a little over 41 carats. VVSI, and plans are to recut to a smaller and more standard size. The price? $33 delivered.
    You will have a hard time finding a piece of rough big enough to cut this stone at this price. BONUS: it’s already preformed!

tucsonbear
    Participant
    @Tucsonbear

Trying to load pic,…

Alan Balmer
    Keymaster
    @alanbalmer

Currently, attachments are limited to 3 MB. You could use a photo editor to compress the picture.

micra
    Participant
    @micra

@tucsonbear are you sure it’s topaz??? 😉

tucsonbear
    Participant
    @Tucsonbear

Pretty sure. Go to eBay and look at item 372044453004. Look closely at the third pic, up near the top edge of the stone, left and right of center, and you will see what looks like 2 faint scratches. They are not scratches, they are internal, and I believe they are incipient basal cleavages. There is another one, harder to see, down in the lower left hand area of the stone.

About buying native cut stones…You get what you get. People who cut these stones are not striving for perfection, they are trying for maximum size. Correct angles? Nope. Inclusions? If they can be hidden. I’m even watching some cut citrine’s on eBay that have fractures so bad and so visible, he calls them “glitter” cut, and “crackle” cut.

tucsonbear
    Participant
    @Tucsonbear

BTW, this same seller has decent citrine, and some fantastic smoky quartz (“champagne” quartz), but stay very far away from his amethyst and opals.

tucsonbear
    Participant
    @Tucsonbear

And back again! I just used the girdle of that stone to scratch a piece of quartz, and the quartz wouldn’t scratch the blue stone, so I’m pretty sure it is topaz. I’ve searched that sellers other items, and he doesn’t have any more right now.

tucsonbear
    Participant
    @Tucsonbear

Update, this seller has at least 4 more of these blue topazes listed now, ranging from 35 carats up to 150 carats. They look to be more included than the last batch. Check out auction number 401395495268, then check out his other items to see all of them.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.